Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc

  • Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc
    Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc
  • Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc
    Nostalgique
  • Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc
    Juniorsuite
  • Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc
    Restaurant Veranda
  • Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc
    Historic Room
  • Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc
    Salle a manger
  • Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc
    SPA Pool
  • Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc
    SPA Relax
  • Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc
    Vue Terrasse SPA
  • Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc
    Salon Vallet
  • Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc
    Jardin historique
  • Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc
    Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc
Book online
Map

Alpine living museum. Charm and traditions.

In the picturesque Val d’Anniviers within the French-speaking region of the Valais, the Grand Hotel Bella Tola reflects the lifestyle of the late 19th century. The current owners have enthusiastically set out to restore the guest rooms, the original dining room and lounges to reflect the charms of a bygone age.

Geschichte Gd Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc

History since 1859

Seeing the growing number of foreign visitors to the Val d’Anniviers, Pierre Pont knew what was coming. After a village fire, he started building the Bella Tola in the new center of St-Luc in 1859 and was able to open it in 1860. As was true of many hotels during that time, he adopted the hotel’s name from a nearby mountain peak, also known as the ‘Rigi of the Valais’. After ­initially difficult years, during which the canton, too, granted a tax exemption or two, the business began to flourish when it moved to a new building which opened in 1883 on the outskirts of the village, in a place with wonderful views. After just six years an ­extension was added, designed by the well-known hotel ar­chitect Louis Maillard (1878–1936) of Vevey (Grand ­Hotels of Caux and Territet). The hotel at the edge of St-Luc still looks the same, an imposing stone edifice. Following WW II, a number of technical improvements were made. The guest rooms were equipped with running water, later some modern bathrooms were ­added; in 1967, central heating and an elevator were ­installed. Despite these renovations, the fourth generation of the founding family was no longer able to make a living from the hotel. In 1995, the hotel was sold to a developer. Historic hotels were not much appreciated at the time. It was today’s owners who rescued the hotel. With great dedication and know-how, the two Lausanne Hotel School graduates made a success of the badly neglected hotel within a very few years. Ill-advised transformations of the past, such as that of the veranda at the front, have been corrected using historic models and elements. The guest rooms have been gradually returned to their original condition and have been equipped with valuable furniture. In 2001, Icomos named the mountain hotel Historic Hotel of the Year. The enterprising hoteliers became founding members of Swiss Historic Hotels in 2004. (RF)

Anne-Françoise & Claude Buchs
  • Host
  • Anne-Françoise & Claude Buchs
  • Hotel type
  • Boutique, spa, mountain, skiing, hiking, wellness
  • Hotel facilities
  • 30 rooms, free WLAN, restaurants, spa, garden, rooms for banquets, family celebrations
  • Hotel classification
  • ICOMOS-certified
  • Historic hotel of the year 2001
  • Price range
  • CHF 100–200 / EUR 96–192
  • Open
  • Mid-December to mid-April Mid-June to mid-October
View all Hotels